I made these for my son's kinder friends:
Prep: 20 mins, plus 1 hr chilling.
Cooking: 8-10 mins, plus decorating time.
Makes about 48
2 cups (300g) plain flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
185g unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup (220g) sugar
1 large egg
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
2 cups (320g) pure icing sugar
2 tablespoons water
Food colouring (optional)
Silver cachous, to decorate
1. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
2. Place butter and sugar in bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 3 minutes, or until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla, then add flour mixture at low speed. Mix until just combined.
3. On a lightly floured surface, form dough into 2 balls, then flatten each into a disc. Wrap discs firmly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C fan). Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
5. Roll out one piece of chilled dough on a lightly floured surface and use biscuit cutters to cut out shapes. Arrange on baking sheets, spaced 2.5cm apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes, switching shelves halfway. Transfer biscuits to a wire rack to cool completely. Allow baking sheets to cool before baking next batch.
6. Roll out remaining scraps of dough, cut out shapes and bake 8-10 minutes.
7. For the icing, combine icing sugar and water in a bowl and stir until smooth. Add more water if necessary for an easily spreadable consistency. Stir in food colouring, if desired.
8. Spread icing over biscuits. Decorate with silver cachous and allow icing to set before serving.
Recipe Loukie Werle (Australian House & Garden)