Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Marvellous Mums... the end of an era.

Here's some of the Marvellous Mums I know!

Marvellous Mums had their final get together last Monday. The group began in mid 2007. Two and a half years on and it's a privilege to reflect back to that very first morning tea in my lounge room and the first ever poem I handed out to the mums present to encourage them in their role as mothers.

People came and went from this little group, some came consistently for years and others just for a season, but what's been important has been the friendships that have remained and the support that we were able to give one another over the past couple of years.

One lovely lady from the group wrote:
Just wanted to let you know that you have done a great job with Marvellous Mothers over the years. I saw it in the beginning and at the end (pity about work and missing out on the middle time). I’m sure a lot of mums have got something out of it.
You are a great mum and a very thoughtful person and I have leant a lot from you, your emails and blog.
I wish you all of the best in the future and the next ‘chapter’ in your lives.


It was so encouraging to receive those words but you know what? I got so much out of this group myself. I loved writing the newsletters and meeting other mums that came across my path. Starting a group was something I never thought I'd do but it stretched me, it taught me lots about myself and it helped me to understand more about this important task of raising our children and what a challenge it can be at times.

So thanks to all the ladies who joined me on this journey- whether you came once or twenty times I enjoyed sharing it with you. Thanks also to my own beautiful mum who supported me until the end. You can't see her in this photo (because she was taking it) but she had such a crucial role in the group- supporting me, playing with the children and helping out on many occasions to set up, pack up, make things etc. Thanks Mum, I love you so much.

This poem below still reminds me of how special you (and all of us as mums) are.

In the entire world there is no other mum like you
Since the beginning of time
There has never been another mother like you.
No other mum has your smile,
Your eyes, nose, hair, hands, or your voice.
No other mum sees the things just as you do.
In all of time there has been no mother who laughs like you, no one who cries like you,
And what makes you laugh and cry
Will never provoke identical laughter and tears from anybody else — EVER.
You are the only one created with your set of natural abilities.
There will always be somebody who is better at one of the things you are good at …
But no other mum in the universe can reach the quality of your combination of talents, ideas, natural abilities and spiritual abilities.
Through all of eternity, no other mum will look, talk, walk, think or do exactly like you.
You’re special!
You’re rare!
And as in all rarities, there is great value.
You need not attempt to imitate other mums.
Accept, and yes — CELEBRATE your differences.
You’re special.
Continue to believe that you are here for a special purpose.
Out of the billions of mums who could have been chosen to raise your children,
Only one was qualified,
Only one has the best combination of what it would take
And that is YOU.
Just as surely as every snowflake that falls has a perfect design
And no two designs are the same —
You are designed to live your life uniquely.
Your life will bring to you your own set of challenges,
Face these and live your life to the best and fullest —
Not just for your own sake but for all those around you.

What a Marvellous Mum you are!

Psalm 139:13-16

1 comment:

Veiga said...

I am charmed with your blog -
I invite you to view my:

http://www.devaneiosdevida.blogspot.com/In it you

will know a l small country, very old but with good

people, good food and beautiful landscapes:

Portugal. I write and I speak a little English,

Spanish, French, Italian and Portuguese-This one

interesting for language learning, but you can

make comments in English
Greetings
Merry Christmas! And Happy New Year!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews

kidspot.com.au

kidspot.com.au