Friday, July 31, 2009

Confession time...


I must admit I had become a bit addicted to using my clothes dryer lately for at least the socks and undies. With the clothes line all the way down in the cold and wet backyard, the thought of pegging out 25,000 pairs of socks and jocks every few days only to just miss the opportunity to bring them in and they get all wet again, just hasn't encouraged me to use my line during winter.

But... when I just received my electricity bill in the mail on Monday, I felt a mixture of guilt, sadness and responsibility. Guilt for the environment's sake, sadness at how high the bill was (our most expensive one EVER) and responsibility knowing that I could probably be using the clotheshorse more often.

So since Monday (I know it hasn't been very long yet) I haven't so much as touched the dryer. I have looked at it longingly many times, but I have refused to use it. Let's see if my persistent personality can stick to this one. I've made a deal with myself not to use it until the next bill comes and see what a difference it makes. It does take longer to peg all those itty bitty socks and underpants on the clotheshorse but it's a price I'm prepared to pay. I only have to remember back to how I felt when I opened up that bill!

I've also heard that clothes last much longer when they are not dried in the dryer too so that's a bonus. Apparently the dryer destroys the rubber elastic in socks and underwear, causes pilling on your clothes and all that lint in left in the dryer is the result of the fibers being rubbed thin. I guess there's also the risk of clothes shrinking too.

Can you tell I'm still trying to convince myself?

Well I guess I'd better go and start my pegging. My lounge room is starting to look like a Chinese laundry!

2 comments:

Christie Burnett said...

I hear you. I can't stand the sight of the Chinese laundry all day so I actually hang it in my bedroom not the living room!

Christie

SquiggleMum said...

I've used the drier more this winter than ever before... and am dreading the next electricity bill too!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews

kidspot.com.au

kidspot.com.au