Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Risotto recipe


This recipe post is dedicated to my lovely sister Mel. I cooked this risotto the other night when she was over for dinner and she asked me for the recipe so I thought I'd just put it here for anyone else who's interested. It's based on the simple method of cooking risotto (that you'll find on the back of the rice packet) with a few other random things thrown in.

Ingredients:
2 tbls olive oil
30g butter
1 onion
4 rashers of bacon, sliced
2 cups Riviana Arborio Rice
4 cups of chicken stock (I use the "Massel" brand- it's Made in Australia plus gluten free, lactose free, no MSG etc)
1/4 cup white wine (Optional. If I just use stock, I make my stock a little bit stronger than what it suggests)
mushrooms, zucchini, capsicum or whatever else you want to add.
parmesan cheese (to your taste)
ground black pepper
fresh spinach leaves
pumpkin
nuts (I use a mix of whatever I have, walnuts, pine-nuts, sunflower seeds etc)
honey (optional)

What to do:
Heat oil and butter in a large heavy based casserole dish or saucepan (I use my big Scanpan wok).
Add onion and bacon and cook for 3 minutes.
Stir in the rice and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until rice slightly colours, stir frequently so that it doesn't burn.
If you're adding wine, add it now and simmer to absorb the liquid, stirring all the time.
Otherwise just start adding the stock, a cup at a time, allowing each portion to be absorbed and stirring well between each addition.
After the first cup of stock add in your mushrooms, zucchini etc.
Adjust the consistency with extra water or stock, if necessary.
When all the stock has been absorbed, remove the pan from the heat. Stir through the parmesan, pepper and fresh spinach.
To top it all off, I have been lightly steaming cubes of pumpkin in the microwave.
I then melt some butter in a frying pan and then toss through a variety of nuts or sometimes I use sesame seeds etc and fry this all up until it golden brown. Occasionally I'll add in a bit of honey to this mix too, making the pumpkin a bit sweeter.
Finally serve up the risotto topped with the cubed pumpkin mix and garnished with some spinach or parsley and that's it... job's done!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I've searched all over the Internet and couldn't find this recipe until now. I think I thu mine away. Oops
I don't have Riviana rice today so no recipe But thank you. It's my favourite 😄

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews

kidspot.com.au

kidspot.com.au